When Will This Be Over? Understanding Suicide
P.I.E. Blog

When Will This Be Over? Understanding Suicide

This weekend we learned of sad news for Rick Warren, pastor of Saddleback Church in southern California and author of The Purpose Driven Life. His son, Matthew Warren, committed suicide on Friday, April 5, 2013. Pastor Warren, who provided the opening prayer at President Barak Obama's first inaugration, sent a message to his congregation and staff asking for prayers.

The Saddleback Church, which has several church locations in southern California including the main location in Lake Forest, will deal with this tragedy "as a church family," according to Tom Holladay, teaching pastor at the church. Twenty-seven year old Matthew, who was the youngest of his three siblings, had been out with his parents just prior to shooting himself at home. According to his father, he had been battling depression for years and had been unsuccessfully treated.

Psychologists' hearts ache when someone commits suicide, even when we don't know the person. It is even more disheartening to hear people say things like, "The most selfish thing that you can do is commit suicide." Take it from someone who has treated murderers, drug users and dealers, and sex abusers, suicide is not the most selfish act that you can do.

Most people have never felt what it's like to wake up and realize that you may feel unbearable hopelessness and helplessness for the next 50 years. We're not talking about the person commits suicide to evade legal responsibility. We're talking about people who are plagued with questions like:

When will this end?
Why can't I experience the true happiness that others feel?
Where are my sunny days?

Think about the level of despair that you would feel if you didn't enjoy anything. What would it be like to be in such emotional and physical pain (yes, a symptom of depression is physical pain) that all you could focus on was the day that it was over?

Fortunately, I have never felt these feelings for an extended period of time, but I have felt them. I experienced depressive symptoms during each of my three pregnancies in the first trimester, not after having my children (known as Post-partum Depression). For a lot of women, the drastic hormonal changes in your body during the first trimester can feel a lot like depression. I remember feeling unmovitated, indecisive, unhappy and drained. And, the scariest part of all was that I thought that those feelings would last throughout my pregnancy. Thank God I had a mentor who explained that those symptoms would probably lift when I got to my second trimester, and thank God she was right!

There was one big difference between the depressive symptoms that I felt when I was pregnant and Major Depressive Disorder. The difference was that I had the answers to those questions; Matthew probably didn't.

When will this end? When your second trimester starts

Why can't I experience the true happiness that others feel? Because you are pregnant...wait it out.

When is the cloud that is perpetually hanging over my head going to find another home? When your second trimester starts

Where are my sunny days? They are coming soon...just ___ more weeks.

For Matthew and millions of other people, the sunny days just can't come soon enough. And, it's hard to navigate in a sea of depression where you just can't seem to get your legs under you. Adding judgment to the mix, instead of empathy and compassion, doesn't help.

The great gift of human beings is that we have the power of empathy. ~ Meryl Streep

Psychology IEverywhere!

11 Comments to When Will This Be Over? Understanding Suicide:

Comments RSS
replicashowyou.biz on Monday, July 29, 2013 6:12 AM
oming soon...just ___ more weeks. For Matthew and millions of other people, the sunny days just can't come soon enough. And, it's hard to navigate in a sea of depression where you just can
Reply to comment

replica omega on Saturday, August 10, 2013 6:09 AM
re coming soon...just ___ more weeks. For Matthew and millions of other people, the s
Reply to comment

interlinings on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:22 AM
As there are different types in basement windows and all of them have their own positive points but before installing window for your basement you should check your requirement and then choose the suitable type for your basement.
Reply to comment

write my assignment on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 8:11 AM
We can get information about bunco tournament. Many people like to participate in this tournament. They can learn something from this tournament. They make fun with others in this tournament and spend happy time after playing bunco game very well.
Reply to comment

uhjackets on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 8:11 AM
I blog frequently and I really value your substance. The article has really crested my advantage. I will take a note of your site and continue checking for new data about once every week.You know, many persons are looking round for this information, you could help them greatly.Keep sharing your thoughts.
Reply to comment

i hate you but i love you on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 2:44 AM
We can get information about bunco tournament. Many people like to participate in this tournament. I like this post that amazing and interesting. Thanks for share! Visit my home: quotes about time passinge
Reply to comment

faiz on Tuesday, January 22, 2019 4:10 AM
si keempat.Pacar lain, pada kenyataannya, mengejutkan saya. Bini ke 20 Supplier plat besi hitam Toko besi wf Toko besi wf Toko stainless steel Agen besi cnp undangan pernikahan akrilik Supplier Wiremesh Jual Plat Kapal Besi baja Toko plat besi hitam Pabrik besi beton Sni Ulir Polos polos ulir Agen besi wf Agen besi wf Toko atap spandek www.gudangbesibaja.com undangan pernikahan bentuk tas Supplier Besi Pipa Baja Schedule 80 Harga Plat Kapal Besi baja Agen plat besi hitam Pabrik besi beton sii Pabrik besi wf Pabrik besi wf Toko baja ringan Pabrik besi hollow Toko besi Wf Baja undangan pernikahan online Supplier Besi Pipa Baja Schedule 40 Pabrik Plat Kapal Besi baja Pabrik plat besi hitam Pabrik besi beton psi Ulir Polos Distributor besi hollow Distributor besi hollow Toko bondek Toko bondek undangan pernikahan modern Supplier Pipa Besi Hitam Medium Distributor Wiremesh Besi baja Distributor plat kapal besi baja Pabrik besi beton perwira Harga besi hollow Harga besi hollow Toko Plat kapal besi baja bki krakatau steel Toko wiremesh undangan pernikahan unik dan murah Supplier Besi Wf Supplier Wiremesh Besi baja Harga plat kapal besi baja Pabrik besi beton PAS Jual Jaket Parka Jaket Parka undangan pernikahan kalender undangan pernikahan bahasa inggris islam undangan pernikahan islami undangan pernikahan unik dan murah undangan pernikahan modern undangan pernikahan online undangan pernikahan undangan pernikahan amplop surat undangan pernikahan simple undangan pernikahan murah undangan pernikahan unik undangan pernikahan artis undangan pernikahan modern undangan pernikahan artis undangan pernikahan arab undangan pernikahan undangan pernikahan Pabrik Welded Beam Pabrik Welded Beam Jual atap spandek
Reply to comment

Tony Stark Jack on Monday, April 29, 2019 6:17 AM
This is the really great post.
Reply to comment

watch logan online on Wednesday, May 29, 2019 2:45 AM
Nice.
Reply to comment

Certus Trading Reviews on Monday, July 8, 2019 5:47 AM
The educational programs offered by Certus Trading Reviews include courses on stocks and bonds, as well as options and commodities trading. Founder Matt Choi is a Chartered Market Technician with 17 years experience as a trader.
Reply to comment

article on the effects of pro ana websites on Monday, February 3, 2020 8:19 AM
Make water your best friend Nothing, I mean nothing eliminates toxins more than water.
Reply to comment