First Lady Michelle Obama...A Single Mom?
P.I.E. Blog

First Lady Michelle Obama...A Single Mom?

It's official. If you didn't know that First Lady Michelle Obama was just like you and me, her interview with CBS News confirmed it. The First Lady "accidentally" called herself a single mom while she was talking about the daily struggles of balancing family and work responsibilities.

This "accidental" phrase, by the way, is called a Freudian slip in the psychology world. A Freudian slip is when a word or phrase slips out of your mouth that you didn't mean...consciously. The kicker with Freudian slips is that, according to Sigmund Freud, they actually indicate how you feel unconsciously. Therefore, some psychologists would say that Mrs. Obama feels like a single parent at times, which makes sense given the schedule of her husband, President Barak Obama

Ladies, if your romantic partner has every referred to you as "mom," that's a Freudian slip. One famous Freudian slip occurred when former Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice referred to President George W. Bush as her husband

With style and grace, Mrs. Obama recovered nicely. However, this verbal faux pas describes an experience that a lot of married, working women probably have. I know I did.

When you are married to a man who travels for business, it can feel like you are a single mother while he is away. I remember when my husband started the HBCU Digest, an online publication featuring achievements, news and commentary on our nation's historically black colleges and universities, it required (and still does) a good amount of travel to institutions of higher learning throughout the country. During these trips, I would refer to myself as a single-parent, and one day he frustratedly asked, "Why do you say that?"

I explained that when he was out of town everything defaulted to me, which could get overwhelming, particularly when I was pregnant with our boys. He pointed out that the term offended him because it lumped him in the category of men who start marriages and don't work on them; the same classification as men who create children and don't stick around to raise them. Of course, he is very physically, emotionally and financially present in our lives, so my single parent term rubbed him the wrong way. Additionally, he pointed out that I didn't have the struggles that lots of single parents faced, if for no other reason than because I knew my husband would return home eventually.

I tried to point out that I was being very literal when I used the term and that I only used it when he was out of town. When I said it, I literally meant that I was the sole person responsible for picking up our boys, cooking dinner and getting them ready for bed, all tasks that we would share if he was home. Additionally, I pointed out that when I am out of town, which is only about twice per year, I see him as a single parent.

Nevertheless, I eventually conceded the point because he did make some good arguments and the term sincerely offended him. But, I do think that it's quite interesting that Mrs. Obama has a similar experience. Wonder what Mr. President thought about her slip?

13 Comments to First Lady Michelle Obama...A Single Mom?:

Comments RSS
shanghai tour packages on Thursday, May 16, 2013 3:56 PM
Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in truth was a enjoyment account it. Look complex to far delivered agreeable from you! However, how can we keep up a correspondence?

harpirisenergy on Monday, May 20, 2013 8:47 AM
It' laborious to seek out educated folks on this matter, however you sound like you realize what you�re talking about! Thanks

rolex watches on Friday, June 21, 2013 9:25 PM
Graham London Partners With Brawn For British Grand Prix

fusible interlinings on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:24 AM
Someone who is unaware of his purpose of use will not be able to purchase the best thermostat for his need. Nowadays has become a popular option among many people.

prestige watches on Friday, December 26, 2014 3:00 AM
I read some good stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to make such a wonderful informative site.

family balancing on Sunday, December 31, 2017 1:30 PM
If you have already baby girls and now want to know how to plan baby boy, we are here to help. We have discovered some very effective method to calculate the gender of your baby and it is easy and natural. Visit us if you are desiring for a baby boy and we help you to conceive him at the right time.

rushessay on Monday, May 7, 2018 4:17 PM
She had been an example for those whom had been trying to get over the things like you are talking here in this post. It is sure all about getting the opportunities when you are willing to achieve goal.

how to get free steam money on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 2:20 AM
keep up the good spirits surely deserve heartfelt applications how to get free steam money

Nordicbet on Friday, July 20, 2018 6:40 AM
Numerous who play Roulette have confidence in good fortune, making it a best gambling club amusement.

Do My Law Homework on Friday, September 14, 2018 3:20 AM
Thanx for sharing such useful post keep it up :)

Programming PHP Helper on Friday, September 14, 2018 6:16 AM
only professional writers can make this kind of material, cheers

faiz on Tuesday, January 22, 2019 4:06 AM
uatu hari gadis itu mengalahkan demonnya dan memaksaini ke 14 pabrik plat stainless ss304 pabrik plat stainless ss310 pabrik round bar besi aisi 440s45c pabrik round bar scm440 pabrik steel rail pabrik steel sheet pile pusat astm a283 c pusat pipa boiler pusat plat abrex 400 pusat plat asme516 grade70 pusat plat astm a285 c Toko Atap Spandek Toko Atap Spandek Distributor atap spandek Distributor besi siku undangan pernikahan klasik Jual Plat Kapal Bki Krakatau Steel Jual Besi Wf Baja Toko sch 40 Jual besi beton krakatau steel ks undangan pernikahan kalender undangan pernikahan bahasa inggris islam undangan pernikahan islami undangan pernikahan unik dan murah undangan pernikahan modern undangan pernikahan online undangan pernikahan undangan pernikahan amplop surat undangan pernikahan simple undangan pernikahan murah undangan pernikahan unik undangan pernikahan artis undangan pernikahan modern undangan pernikahan artis undangan pernikahan arab undangan pernikahan undangan pernikahan Agen Atap Spandek Agen Atap Spandek Distributor baja ringan Distributor Plat besi plat kapal undangan pernikahan aneh Jual Jual Besi Siku Baja Harga Besi Wf Baja Agen sch 40 Jual besi beton jcac Pabrik Atap Spandek Pabrik Atap Spandek Distributor bondek Distributor besi h beam baja undangan pernikahan mewah Jual Besi Unp Baja Profil Kanal Pabrik Besi Wf Baja Pabrik sch 40 Jual besi beton interworld steel is Distributor Bondek Cor Distributor Bondek Cor Distributor Plat kapal besi baja bki krakatau steel Distributor besi cnp undangan pernikahan cute Jual Besi Cnp Profil Baja Gording Distributor Plat Besi Baja Distributor besi Pipa sch 80 baja Jual besi beton gunung garuda Harga Bondek Cor Harga Bondek Cor Distributor besi siku www.gudangbesibaja.com undangan pernikahan online Jual Besi Hollow Supplier Plat Besi Baja Harga besi Pipa sch 80 baja Jual besi beton delcoprima Jual Bondek Cor Jual Bondek Cor Distributor pipa besi baja sch 40 sch 80 Jual besi Wf Baja undangan pernikahan buatan sendiri Jual Wiremesh

gardenscapes unlimited stars on Wednesday, February 12, 2020 2:40 AM
Being tired, being in nature, is the best way to wake up our mind and our energy.